Residents are encouraged to take time to change their smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector batteries.
Lethbridge firefighters responded to over 75 calls in 2018 when smoke detectors warned residents to leave their homes and call 911.
They also responds to calls about carbon monoxide detectors.
Carbon monoxide, or the “silent killer,” is an odourless, colourless gas that can lead to death. Heating and cooking equipment that burns fuel, like furnaces and stoves are common sources of carbon monoxide.
Residents are reminded to test alarms monthly and ensure everyone in the house knows what they sound like. Detectors have expiration dates and should be replaced every 10 years.